Minds on Mathematics: Using Math Workshop to Develop Deep Understanding in Grades 4-8
Author: Wendy Ward Hoffer
Brand: Brand: Heinemann
- Used Book in Good Condition
Number Of Pages: 208
"Here, at last, is a book for teachers who have understood and implemented readers' and writers' workshops, but have struggled to create a manageable math workshop." -Ellin Oliver Keene
Why is it that so many of our students don't get math? Wendy Ward Hoffer argues that all learners are capable of deep understanding-but first we must create classrooms where teachers serve as coaches, students engage as a community of learners, and everybody works toward "getting it" together. Minds on Mathematics shows you how.
Wendy explains the core elements of math workshop and then provides detailed strategies for implementing the workshop model. Effective routines and abundant examples are provided for each component of the workshop, including
- planning openers that "hook" learners with engaging tasks
- using minilessons to model thinking and problem solving
- managing work time for both group and independent learning
- creating classroom routines that support conferring
- ensuring deep understanding with sharing and reflecting opportunities.
Minds on Mathematics shows how to make the workshop model come to life in your math classroom! It proves that when we provide math learning experiences that support students to become critical thinkers and problem solvers, to stretch and think in new ways, and then invite them to communicate their ideas to others, we inspire them to "get" math like never before.